Thursday, July 22, 2010

So how about that spider bite?


Well, 3 weeks ago we went to California. I found a bug bite on my ankle and thought it was just a mosquito bite. It itched for several days and never went away. The next week when I got back to work, the bite was really red and looking, well, angry. The next day it started to turn black and became painful. Now, I work at the health department and this old building is know to have a few bugs here and there. So I started asking around. I mean, I work with a bunch of nurses and nurse practitioners, they should know what this is on my ankle. The majority thought it was a spider bite. Great! I went to the doctor and it was a spider bite. A brown recluse bite no less. I started taking antibiotics and an anti-leprosy medicine that treats spider bites. Meanwhile, the necrosis on my ankle keeps growing, the swelling gets worse, and the redness spreads. After a week of the 2 meds, I went back to the doctor. She decided this plan was not working and changed me to another antibiotic and an antimicrobial ointment. ( I think ointment is such a funny word.) Anyway, the ointment and a bandage helped so much. The wound is still black with a red ring but it looks so much better and it's getting smaller everyday. So random but that's life!

(The picture is my spider bite at it's worst.)

No comments:

Post a Comment